Mixed Singles Boxes
Greville Smyth tennis club run a friendly singles tennis box system (all year, depending on take-up). All members of the club are welcome to join, regardless of ability. You will be entered into a box of similar abilities players and can move up and down the boxes depending on your overall result at the end of each round.
A round lasts 8 weeks (16 weeks in the winter). There are 4-6 players in each box. AT the start of each round you will be emailed the contact details of the other players in your box. You will then be expected to make your own arrangements with the others in your box to play each other. There will be a sheet on the court notice board to write your results on (instructions below).
It does not matter if you can not play everyone in your box but aim to play as many players from your group as possible, as you score points for playing, not only winning. At the end of the round, the top player from each box moves up and the bottom player moves down (subject to numbers).
If you would like to join the boxes (it's free for members), or have any questions, please email boxes [at] grevillesmythtennis [dot] co [dot] uk.
Here's the take-away:
- Mixed singles
- Each round lasts 8 weeks (16 week during the winter)
- 1 point for playing, 2 points for winning (Total of 3 points available per match)
- Best of 1 or 3 sets, decided on by both players before each match.
- Overall winner from each box moves up
- Overall loser from each box moves down
- Contact details of those in your box will be emailed before the round starts
- Organise your own matches (doesn't even need to be at Greville), enter your own score
- Minimum age: 18
How to record your results
After playing, you can write your result on the box sheet hanging from the on-court billboard. If you are not sure how to do this, you can email the boxes email address with your results.
Below is an example sheet. Remember that you get 1 point for playing, 2 points for winning (Total of 3 points available per match) per person.
You'll see in the example below that Miles lost to Julian, so the Miles received 1 point and Julian received 3. Also, Ben beat Julian, so Ben received 3 points and Julian received 1.Was this page useful?